- 31 years ago my only goal was to be on the cover of Time Magazine.
- 16 years ago I was in Russia working with business leaders.
- 11 years ago Dead Rita was not dead, but was dying.
- 5 years ago I didn’t know the story of Rwanda.
- 1 year ago there was no global thought that the world’s economy was going to seriously tank.
And none of those things did I anticipate before they happened.
And so this is what I know: I know nothing for sure. But every action, every reaction, is a choice to what lies in front of me.
There are great victories going on in the world. There is tremendous human tragedy. But if we choose, if I choose, I will honor those and myself more by my action than my mere grief. I am comfortable in the belief that there is no parallel universe. No other path for me. No what ifs.
I think some of my belief system and general optimism is personality. But I strive to see a greater purpose in all of this. To learn, to grow, to have patience with myself and others, to laugh hard, to love, and to not fear the future.
Faith in God plays a key role in my ability to be stable in an unstable world. I frankly don’t know how people manage life without a belief in a higher power. And if they don’t, it’s ok. I’m serious though, I don’t know how they do it.
Some of this entry comes from the toughness I face in the world. But some of it is because tomorrow is Easter. For me, it is the most glorious of holidays. It is my hope of God’s grace. And if He is there, I can do my part here. And I have no idea what that will be.